Friday, July 11, 2008

in an time when everyone is a writer...

... is there any room for writers anymore?  i was reading some blogs tonight, friends (here and here), people i don't even know (here) and they tell their own stories so beautifully, i wonder if a professional writer could even do it justice?

this worries me as writing is what i have spent the last 8 years of my life trying to do and the past year of my life really trying to do.  am i entering a dying field?  well sure there's always news reporting, but who really wants to do that?  it's the people and their intrinsic and beautiful stories that i want to tell.

but i can't even tell my own!  i've been presented with the opportunity to possibly have an unpaid internship with the dallas observer (which i love, btw).  freak out now.  what a dream, to work (for free) for such a cutting edge publication by village voice media!  and now, i have to write a bio...about me.  panic.  i like to write and read about other people, they are much more interesting then myself.  

what the hell has happened in my life that is worthy of sharing or for that matter has led me to a career in writing.  i'll tell you-- nothing.  i don't know how i arrived here.  actually i do, it was hbo's sex and the city.  but, can i seriously write a bio about myself using carrie bradshaw in sex and the city as my inspiration?!

i'm taking a class right now and the first assignment was to write about a writing mentor.  well sadly, i don't have one of those, unless of course you think a fictional character would do.  so, what could i do but write about my high school youth minister?  and i did.  

can i succeed without inspiration, direction or a mentor?  freak out again... here's to hoping they all come along soon!

3 comments:

Dr. Erin and Mr. Heath said...

Chin up, buttercup! You have no idea how talented you are.

I find it funny that you posted my blog as someone who is able to write well. I feel like I can never really , I mean really, write how I feel. The words just don't seem to do it justice. And then I read blogs that are so well written I feel like I'm right there with them experiencing everything they experience.

My point it, I think that everyone else's story always seems so much better than your own. But, you're amazing. Yes, you have lots of room to grow, but we all do. And I can't wait to see where your talent takes you.

And, for what it's worth, I see absolutely nothing wrong with your mentor being a fictional, shoe-crazed, cosmo-drinking, sex column writer. :)

leah @maritalbless said...

You are extremely talented and should not be worried one bit. Lol at Erin's comment about your mentor though!

Barbra said...

Well, just because everyone is writing doesn't mean that everyone is writing WELL. And you write well! With regards to the bio, I have a website called www.howtowritebio.com that has fill-in-the-blank templates for various types of professional bios. Your readers might find it helpful.